[linux-elitists] ClearChannel radio censorship

zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] z@valinux.com
Tue Sep 18 13:26:45 PDT 2001

Their selection seems about as arbitrary as can be...next they'll ban
Barry Minlow because he wears a lot of pink and thats a sure fire sign
hes a commie.

"Now playing - an hour long block of Air Supply and Leo Sayer"*

Clear Channel has been fairly offensive (at least to me) for years.
They were responsible for the neutering of KOME (then 98.5, a fairly
impressive rock station that existed for over 2 decades at that point
that had a very distinct logo plastered all over the bay area - i've
even seen KOME stickers in NY and Chicago) turning it into an
'alternative' channel and totally changing the line up andf
programming.  Then they bought Live 105 and sterilized it.  I was
mortified when I left the bay and moved to Davis that they had recently
bought the biggest station in Sacramento and homogenized it the same way
(down to using the same colour scheme and logo/font style and getting a
small cadre of nondescript dj's with all the personality of bricks of
pumice).

I now own about 2700 cd's.....I don't do radio anymore except for the
occasional college station (KSCU in Santa Clara, KSJS in San Jose, and
KDVS in Davis...and even they filter themselves more than they did in
the late 80's/early 90's)

It is truly a shame, but the lemmings seem to like it.

now playing: Curve - Hell above Water

* I know I am dating myself in that statement.

--
Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist	|	www.sourceforge.net