[linux-elitists] ClearChannel radio censorship

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue Sep 18 13:56:37 PDT 2001

Yes, yes, I know this is from Slashdot. Bear with me.

I listen to the radio only when in a vehicle. I believe several of the
stations are owned by ClearChannel. Time to pull that
minijack->magtape hack out of the basement. The banned list is simply
outrageous.

http://www.fuckedcompany.com/extras/clearchannel_email.cfm

I'm most upset that they've banned "Stairway to Heaven", a siginifcant
fraction of The Wall, and a whole suite of innocent Beatles songs.
What is so offensive about "Get Together"? Or "It's the end of the
world as we know it"? Darn, this is true censorship. Did I mention
that playing ANY Rage Against The Machine song on a ClearChannel
radio station is now prohibuted? "Brain Stew" is a song about
insomnia. And American Pie is a cryptic song with many hidden
meanings, most of them documented at
http://members.es.tripod.de/Evilio/buddy/american_pie.html. The most
offensive part that I can see is references to Buddy Holly, who died
in a plane crash. Please, is it illegal to mention planes now? That's
what you would think after learning that "Jet Airliner", "Leavin' on a
Jet Plane" are banned.

Truly the most offensive aspect of this censorship is that "War" and
"Imagine" are both banned. They are protest songs calling for peace.