[linux-elitists] Subversion is self-hosting

Justin F. Knoetzke shampoo@cam.org
Tue Sep 18 07:29:36 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 04:15:52PM +0200, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> This local warrior is reporting defeat. The local folks need *nix clue,
> yet are actively hostile to it. This involves SourceSafe, choice of NT for
> their servers, development under Windows for *nix, and the like. I've
> tried, but it's hopeless.

	I'm sorry to hear this. It's tough sometimes. I've worked in some
places where the chiefs are MSE's and use the word "Linux" and you can
see their armpits get damp. My trick has been to be relentless. Lobby,
lobby and lobby some more. Promise full support, promise full
responsibility (just don't over promise) and sometimes, if you greased
enough wheels, you'll get your way.

	What most of these shops want is stability. If you can walk in, look
professional, ooze stability and deliver the goods, MS means nothing.

	I've had more then once some Visual Basic weenie come to me and say
"if you only could code as well as you lobby..". I get the last laugh
when we dump VB in favor of something Linux based and their contracts
aren't renewed. It's just too bad that they can't read C++ under
Linux because they'd see that I can code as well as I lobby. ;) But they
never seem to be around long enough to see for themselves.

	It was easier here where I am now because the chiefs were Apple
lovers and given that Apple has bent towards Unix it's been a much
easier job. What's been difficult has been getting developers to switch.
We code entirely in Java here so really, there's no reason to code under
Windoze but for some reason anything else is just too scary for them.

	But I get my revenge daily sometimes even hourly when a new Outlook
virus makes it down the pipes.

> At this point, I'm ready to walk out of the door. By early next year I
> should have found a more *nix friendly employer.

	Good Luck. There's lots out there.

	J.

--
Justin F. Knoetzke