[linux-elitists] [lma@valinux.com: Free software as a replacement for Microsoft]

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sun Sep 16 02:01:36 PDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 05:33:31PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> [Karsten M. Self quoted Larry Augustin.]
>
> Yes, Larry's said that sort of thing for a long time.
>
> > If the goal is to displace Microsoft....
>
> Question-begging.  Is _my_ goal to displace Microsoft?  Is yours?
>
> I don't know about you, but my goal is to participate in a
> self-sustaining world of free-licensed software that doesn't suck
> (or at least is moving towards not sucking).

I totally agree.  That's my goal too.

I get really upset at people preaching what "you should all do to make
Linux better."  The opening keynote at OLS 2001 really pissed me off
too (a nice why doesn't Linux run on my laptops whine).

People writing opensource software on their own time, do it to do what
they _want_ to do.  Not what someone else tells them they have to do.
That's why we have 100 different IM clients :)

And when people spout off, "what you should all do to take over
Microsoft's market is just write this program...", or "you shall make my
hardware work" it just pisses all those people who program for fun off.

Yeah, those people mean well.  They think it's a "rally the troops" type
speech, but it doesn't work that way.  For those of us who hate being
told what we have to do, it works the opposite way.

If those people _really_ want to "rally the troops" to do what they
want, then put your money and or talents behind it.  Does Larry Augustin
fund or work on the Gnumeric project, giving it "his intimate knowledge"
of how Excel works better?  Or does Hugh go after the hardware
manufacturers, chasing down specs for his hardware that he has problems
with and then coding up drivers for that odd stuff?

In the same aspect, that's why I respect the stuff Helix^WXimian is
doing.  They wanted a good email program, went out, got cash, and funded
it's development.  I respect _anyone_ who writes opensource code, or
supports it, or documents it, or helps others out.  For they are
actually doing something.  Not just sitting around, spouting off about
"what should be done."

It's late and I'm rambling...

greg k-h