[linux-elitists] [lma@valinux.com: Free software as a replacement for Microsoft]

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Sep 15 19:46:51 PDT 2001

begin Jeff Waugh quotation:

> That was a long-winded diatribe designed to highlight and provide an
> example of Larry's point about people in the Free Software community
> having sweet fuck all idea about how to make it useful to Real
> Users...

You may find it useful to re-read, then.

Contrary to Larry's assertion, I'm extremely familiar with what
"desktop" users like about Microsoft applications and understand them
perfectly.  At the same time, I don't happen to share most of their
views.

Further and more to the immediate point, I pointed out the
question-begging aspect:  Larry assumes everyone has a common "goal"
and definition of "success", when it is abundantly clear we do not.

That's a shortened version of what I said the first time.  Consult the
longer version for details.