[linux-elitists] OpenBSD or Debian?

Adam Sampson azz@gnu.org
Tue Sep 11 18:00:17 PDT 2001

Eugene Leitl <Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> I've been getting increasingly disappointed with mainstream Linux distros
> recently, most notably RH. Before I go Debian, I figured out I could as
> well look outside of the soup bowl, and try one of the *BSDs, assuming
> it's worth it.

Well, if you've never tried one of the BSDs, then you certainly should
do, if only for the experience---and, of course, if you install the
GNU tools then you end up with something that's pretty much identical
to your average Linux distribution in use. I used FreeBSD for a couple
of months when 4.0-RELEASE appeared, and was reasonably happy with it;
performance seemed quite reasonable (FFS, in particular, dealt with
large directories much better than ext2). However, stability was
appalling (I suspect mostly because I was using FreeBSD's ext2fs
implementation, and because BSD's response to any kind of internal
problem is to panic and reboot---there's no such thing as an Oops),
and of course there's no journalling filesystem, smbfs, affs,
free-software decent packet-filtering system, or support for anything
other than i386 machines.

But the major reason I'm not using BSD any more? Well, I don't like
doing unpaid development for Microsoft, so I'd rather use a kernel and
toolset with a copyleft license...

--
Adam Sampson <azz@gnu.org>                  <URL:http://azz.us-lot.org/>