[linux-elitists] OpenBSD or Debian?

Wayne Earl wayne@qconcepts.net
Tue Sep 11 13:06:06 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 09:37:25AM -0700 or therabouts, Rick Moen wrote:
> I have experience with all three of the best-known open-source BSDs
> (haven't tried Apple Darwin, yet), and am quite fond of both NetBSD and
> FreeBSD.  OpenBSD I have less experience with, but can say that it
> reflects enough systemic paranoia to satisfy any sysadmin.

I've got extensive OpenBSD experience. While it is extremely paranoid in
design (which is a good thing(tm)), it's best quality is the extreme
level of integration of the system as a whole. Administrative tasks that
can be difficult with linux (and thus, error prone) are quite trivial
with OpenBSD.

The biggest downside with OpenBSD is the cult of personality generated
with Theo de Raadt and his so-called security audits. Make no mistake:
it is impossible to provide a system is secure, especially when you are
using the same shit software (re: bind and sendmail) that everyone else
is using (even if it is patched).

> FreeBSD has
> extremely good performance and scales up to very heavy loads without
> stress.

Yes, but anything multi-cpu, and you should stick with Linux. SMP in
FreeBSD is horrid.

--
Wayne Earl <wayne@qconcepts.net>
gpg public key: http://www.qconcepts.net/key.txt