[linux-elitists] OpenBSD or Debian?

Phil Hughes fyl@ssc.com
Tue Sep 11 10:00:47 PDT 2001

The amazing Eugene Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > I guess the better question for here would be why are you becoming
> > disappointed with the mainstream distros?
>
> I've see minor to major misconfigurations across the whole spectrum.
> Mandrake and RH is particularly bad.
>
> > I think the latest RH 7.2 looks quite nice.
>
> RH 7.1 ships with an unofficial release of gcc. I don't have time anymore
> to spend days to weeks massaging the system into a usable state. It's a
> tool, not something worthwhile by itself.
>
> So, how difficult is the jump to OpenBSD, if one is used to diverse
> Linuxes and *nixen? Am I missing any serious alternative?

For "I just want it to work" things I have been using SuSE.  It seems
to be a good combination of lots of stuff and a much higher
probability of actually working out of the box.

--
Phil Hughes, Specialized Systems Consultants, Inc. (SSC)
    P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)782-7733
    E-mail: fyl@ssc.com  Direct: (206)297-8656 Fax: (206)782-7191
    SSC/Linux Journal web site: http://www.ssc.com/