[linux-elitists] OpenBSD or Debian?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 11 09:42:17 PDT 2001

begin  Eugene Leitl quotation:

> So, how difficult is the jump to OpenBSD, if one is used to diverse
> Linuxes and *nixen? Am I missing any serious alternative?

What's your frame of reference?

You have to adjust to the BSD-type init, and things generally may seem
to be in unfamiliar locations for a while.  ps and a number of other
utilities will have different command switches.  And software-delivery
is distinctly different.

OpenBSD has extremely locked down security by default, which is either
a constant background annoyance or reassuring, depending on your degree
of paranoia and tolerance for inconvenience.  It does _not_ have
particularly good performance, especially relative to FreeBSD.

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.