[linux-elitists] OpenBSD or Debian?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 11 09:37:25 PDT 2001

begin  Eugene Leitl quotation:

> I've been getting increasingly disappointed with mainstream Linux distros
> recently, most notably RH. Before I go Debian, I figured out I could as
> well look outside of the soup bowl, and try one of the *BSDs, assuming
> it's worth it.
>
> Is it?

I have experience with all three of the best-known open-source BSDs
(haven't tried Apple Darwin, yet), and am quite fond of both NetBSD and
FreeBSD.  OpenBSD I have less experience with, but can say that it
reflects enough systemic paranoia to satisfy any sysadmin.  FreeBSD has
extremely good performance and scales up to very heavy loads without
stress.  NetBSD is a godsend on odd CPU architectures.  All are
worthwhile systems.

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.