[linux-elitists] SSSCA - Analysis (Q&D)

t . kaimiike@hinahina.eng.hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 10 00:30:09 PDT 2001

I'm not suprised. I'm sure big money is very afraid. However,
from my experience if things slowly get worse nothing happens. But
if things go from free wheeling 60's to big brother overnight then
all hell breaks loose fast and bad people in power get borked. So
in a way I think this is good.

One thing I'm worried about is how blatant is it? Could the evil
sections be explained as pertaining to seemingly legitimate things?
i.e. "you're interpreting it all wrong".

Doesn't
	PERSONAL TIME-SHIFTING COPIES CANNOT BE BLOCKED.
increase the abilities of the lay person since I've heard
things suggesting that HDTV would be able to restrict a users
ability to record shows.

Is there a way to twist this around to make it legal to save
streaming realvideo broadcasts by AOL/TW? That would be funny.

What about Sec. 104.  ADOPTION OF SECURITY SYSTEM STANDARDS.
item a.3, could you use that to legalize decryption of adobe's
e-books since it had zero resistance to attack? What about DeCSS,
that is also fundamentally flawed.

And what exactly does 104.a.6 mean?
	(6) Applicability to multiple technology platforms.

btw, check out:

http://instapundit.blogspot.com/

His is an interesting viewpoint because he is a lawyer.

t.

PS you forgot Buffy the Vampire Killer.

On 2001.09.09 23:27 Karsten M. Self wrote:
> ...and not altogether unbiased.
>
> I'd be interested to hear other's reads of this, I think I'm on
> relatively firm ground for most of the analysis here, but it's pretty
> breathtaking.

> Looks like this might be what our CPRM friends have been up to, among
> others.
>
> A (very quick and dirty) analysis of SSCA.

<evil document snipped>