[linux-elitists] Flash banners: they suck

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Sep 8 22:20:40 PDT 2001

on Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 02:09:07AM +0100, Sean "Reading with the
comprehension bit set arbitrarially" Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M Self quotation:
>
> > Unfortunately, Flash pops up a request for the appropriate plugin
> > each time one is encountered.
>
> No, it does not.  Your Web browser does that.  Either install a proxy
> that filters Flash entirely, or file a bug.

To expand the shorthand I'd written, "encountering Flash content causes
the browser to display a 'download plugin' dialog".  Yes, I'm familiar
with the general principles.  And, yes, as indicated, I'm pursuing this
on the appropriate Galeon discussion list.

I believe the functionality is in Mozilla/Gecko, not Galeon per se.

Cheers.