[linux-elitists] Fwd: PGP signature attachments!

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 7 14:04:22 PDT 2001

on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:45:58PM +0100, Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M Self quotation:
>
> > on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:30:04PM +0100, Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> >> There is plenty in there that states why *you* think you should be
> >> allowed to sign with PGP/MIME but there is nothing to say why other
> >> people should do likewise.
> >
> > They can choose to sign or not sign as they please.  I address why
> > *I* do this, and why it behooves the reader to have RFC 2015-enabled
> > mail.
>
> But I *do* have RFC2015 support in my MUA; I just choose not to use
> RFC2015 to encode signed mail that I send.

My rant isn't aimed at convincing people to *sign* their messages, it's
to convince them to get a mailer that *supports* RFC 2015 signed
messages:

    You're probably reading this because you either stumbled across
    it at my website, or I sent it to you in response to an email
    you sent me saying *you can't read my mail*.  In the latter case,
    the short answer is that:

      - Your mailer is broken.
      - This is your problem, not mine.
      - File a bug report with your vendor.
      - *I'm going to continue signing my mail, and if you don't change
        your end of things, you're going to continue having problems
        reading it.*

(Emphasis added)

> And could you please stop spewing the same canned crap at me again and
> again?  Thank you.

If you'd indicate that you'd read and understood the essay, I might not
feel inclined to include relevant portions highlighting your inaccurate
statements of its contents.  It's called reading *with* comprehension.

Cheers.