[linux-elitists] Fwd: PGP signature attachments!

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 7 12:22:06 PDT 2001

on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:00:11PM +0100, Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M Self quotation:
>
> > on Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 07:25:46PM +0100, Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net) wrote:
> >> A good user agent will hide plaintext PGP gubbins in exactly the
> >> same way as it hides MIME gubbins[0].  Your faulty software is no
> >> concern of mine.
> >
> > A good mailer will support RFC 2015.  Your faulty software is no
> > concern of mine.
>
> Are you trying to make some kind of point here, or just reversing my
> statements to witless effect?

RFC 2015 is a defined, if draft, standard.   It works, it provides
useful functionality, it has minimal side effects (as opposed, say, to
the automated parsing of email for inline elements such as is used in
Microsoft products which will effectively truncate mail starting at
begin  some text (note the two blanks following 'begin').

Parsing of inline content is changing the interpretation of plain text
messages.  Why do this when there is a perfectly good, open, free
standard based on good, open, free MIME encoding, which operates
properly.

Your "a good user agent" is a specious as mine.  A good user agent
follows standards and doesn't impose unexpected behavior based on
arbitrary content.

Reversing arguments, yes.  Witless effects, I fear we differ.