[linux-elitists] Inline MIME-decoding filter

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 2 14:11:53 PDT 2001

on Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 01:04:03PM -0700, Seth David Schoen (schoen@loyalty.org) wrote:
> Is there a filter which takes a MIME message on stdin and writes all
> attachments to stdout (or does something close to this)?  I looked at
> metamail, mimedecode, and munpack without too much luck.
>
> I want this for a silly application I've mentioned to some people.

I believe munpack should do this.

The problem(s) I've had are:

  - A message with multiple attachments, requiring one-at-a-time
    handling under most tools.

  - Multiple messages with one or more attachments that are tedious to
    handle otherwise.

I think munpack was the tool that worked for me.  From the manpage:

    The  munpack  program  reads each RFC-822 message filename and
    writes all  non-text  MIME  parts  or  split-uuencoded files as
    files.  If no filename argument is given, munpack reads from
    standard input.

...what's not working WRT this?