[linux-elitists] It's all the US linux users' fault.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 31 17:30:40 PST 2001

on Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:49:29AM -0600, Carpman (carpman@voidptr.org) wrote:
> I read this on the register this morning in reference to Allan Cox's
> decision to keep the US in the dark about security problems in kernel 2.2
>
> "The programmer plans to post Linux security information exclusively on
> a Web site that will block access from the U.S."
>
> This makes me feel bad about the future of the O.S. that I have come
> to love so much. I hate the DMCA as much as he does, but doing exactly
> what it says to do is not how you get a bad law overturned. Besides
> the fact that Cox lives in the U.K. I doubt that the U.S. congress
> will listen to him much since there foaming at the mouth about
> terrorism right now. I think that this is the wrong thing at the wrong
> time aimed at the wrong people.

Frankly, I think AC may have hit the magic button.

He's the #2 kernel developer.  If he decides that US Copyright law is
incompatible with the GPL, he has very powerful rights as an author to
claim infringement.  If this got a few of the current large backers of
GNU/Linux to wake up, the political pressures to reverse the DMCA might
well take place.

One of the very cool things about copyright law is that the author has
very, very strong rights, so long as what's involved is straight
infringement.  For specific kernel modules, the case should be
relatively strong.

Legislation isn't about people, it's about political blocks exercising
their power.  AC may very well be that lever we need.

I'm not sure if this is his plan, but it's a hell of a seed of doubt to
plant in the minds of a few people with the ability to rent legislators
for a few months.

Peace.