[hangout] Re: [linux-elitists] It's all the US linux users' fault.

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Tue Oct 30 22:28:22 PST 2001

Rick Moen writes:

> begin Thomas Hallaran quotation:
>
> > "I beseech ye in the bowels of Christ, think that ye may be mistaken,"
> > -Jacob Bronowski on the horrors of Auschwitz.
>
> Bronowski was quoting Oliver Cromwell (as the latter spoke just before
> the battle of Dunbar).

The version Bronowski quoted was "I beseech you, in the bowels of
Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken" (although there are
other versions).

You can find Bronowski's speech including that line in his TV series
_The Ascent of Man_, or in his beautiful book of the same title (see
pp. 374-7).  In the TV version, you see him speaking the line as he is
about to reach into the mud (in which the ashes of people were mixed)
and as he delivers his speech on empathy and fallibility which ends

	We have to close the distance between the push-button order
	and the human act.  We have to touch people.

> Justice Learned Hand said he'd like to see Cromwell's words inscribed
> "over the portals of every church, every courthouse and at every
> crossroads in the nation."

I foresee some Establishment Clause problems there.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull