[hangout] Re: [linux-elitists] It's all the US linux users' fault.

Thomas Hallaran thallara@watson.wustl.edu
Tue Oct 30 14:19:04 PST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Ruben Safir wrote:

> But your incorrect.  The assumption that all peoples and cultures are
> equal and all moral can not be substantiated either in history or
> under present conditions.  There are just wars and just causes and
> presently there are societies which are immoral...plain and simple.

Obvoiusly you have no qualms about throwing the first stone. Your cock
sure arrogance, feux morality seems on an the same plane as the strict
"islamic" law imposed by Mullah Omar and his cronies or the strict
"christian" values espoused by such visionaries as Jerry Falwell or Pat
Robertson.

A large part of tolerance seems to me to be awareness of the immense
probability of ones own fallibility.

"I beseech ye in the bowels of Christ, think that ye may be mistaken,"
-Jacob Bronowski on the horros of Auschwitz.

> It's not intolerant to wage a war n a society which teaches it's children
> that kiling Westerners is 'OK', or putting Rifles in the hands of children
> so they can kill the infidels is OK.  It's not OK.  It's an example
> of a facist society which is a threat to world peace and stability.

I am a believer in non violence.
Given that humans are of the same cloth (we vary by  a bit more than 1
million nucleic acid variations (SNPs)) It might be constructive, rather
than bombing people who are moved to violence against the united states, to REALLY
consider  WHY they espouse such violence.

> And they must be stumped out.

stomp?

> It takes a small mind to equate every moral military campain against
> another
> civilization as an act of genocide, or racism.

Yeah, Jesus, Ghandi, Martin Luther King and Tolstoy were all idots.

--
Tom Hallaran
Informatics