[linux-elitists] Re: pho: Tonight on Disney

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 22 17:18:44 PDT 2001

on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:59:50PM -0700, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 07:53:21PM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
> >
> > The owner of the monopoly does not have to be consulted prior to my sharing
> > my inforamtion and archives with others.  If I sell copies of it to others,
> > that is another matter.  The would infrindge on the limited monopoly
> > holders rights.
>
> So warez sites are legal as they don't charge money?

Thanks Seth.

Also:  17 USC 512.

See also general references to common carrier liability exemptions.

The broader point (brushing hay out of hair) is that your strawman
misses the point:  the case is not as clear as either the media
companies or the h4x0r5 would like it.  There is noninfringing copying
of copyrighted media.  There is a limit to amount and extent of same.
Napster itself didn't hold, host, or transfer content, but indexed it.

Is Tripod in the same class as Napster?  Google?

Peace.