[linux-elitists] Re: pho: Tonight on Disney

Misha Nasledov misha@nasledov.com
Mon Oct 22 12:07:51 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:55:52AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> ObLinuxELitism:
>
> So, I'm trying to start with a high uptime at boot, and can get
> a little ways by changing the
>
> unsigned long volatile jiffies;
>
> line in kernel/timer.c -- but it seems like the higher I set it,
> the longer the delay at boot time.   (This was on a PowerPC SBC)
> What's the secret recipe for inflating uptimes, I mean helping with
> kernel QA by testing jiffies rollover?

Well, you could always change kernel/info.c ...
We have the line:

val.uptime = jiffies / HZ;

why not just make it:
val.uptime = (jiffies/HZ)+CONSTANT; ?

This would fix your uptime problem and not affect any other system
functionality.
--
Misha Nasledov
misha@nasledov.com