[linux-elitists] Re: pho: Tonight on Disney

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Mon Oct 22 08:05:10 PDT 2001

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> So, this is what they're showing on Disney these days.
>
> Anyone confirm this?

The episode:
http://www.tvtome.com/servlets/GuidePageServlet/showid-4900/epid-77514/

"The Proud Family" is produced by Hyperion Pictures
(http://www.hyperion-studio.com/, but don't even bother trying), which
is run by Tom Wilhite, former Disney head of Motion Picture and
Television production (he produced TRON!).

The poor music industry:

  "Warner Music Group's revenues totaled $939 million,
   down 1% from the prior year's quarter, due primarily
   to lower industry-wide music sales and unfavorable
   currency exchange rates."
<http://www.aoltimewarner.com/investors/financials/earnings/3Q01/qtrearningsrelease.html>

   "[EMI] Group operating profit (EBITA) increased by £41.9m
    (14.4%) to £332.5m, reflecting underlying profit
    growth of 20.6% and a £13.1m decrease in new media
    earnings."
<http://www.emigroup.com/financial/annrep2001/p24_27_financial_review.html>

   "[Sony Music] Sales for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2001
decreased
    by 94.8 billion yen, or 13.4%, to 612.1 billion yen
    compared with the previous year. Operating income decreased
    by 7.8 billion yen, or 27.5%, to 20.5 billion yen and the
    operating margin decreased from 4.0% to 3.3%."
    NOTE: 612 billion yen is about 5 billion dollars.
<http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/IR/Financial/AR/2001/f_operating.html>

    "PARIS, September 25, 2001 ­ Vivendi Universal  [Paris
     Bourse:  EX FP; NYSE: V] announced today that for the
     first half of 2001 ended June 30, EBITDA (earnings before
     interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) grew 42%
     to nearly 4 billion euros, operating income increased 65%
     to 1.9 billion euros, and revenues increased 11% to 26.4
     billion euros versus pro forma1 results for the first half
     of the prior year. Compared to actual first half 2000
     results, EBITDA grew 54%, operating income increased 64%,
     and revenues increased 36% in first half 2001."
<http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/en/fichiers/2001_firsthalf_EN.pdf>

Someone ought to bend Disney over in print for this shameless pandering.

--R

> on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:05:59AM -0700, Lara Lavi (veryjuicyrecords@home.com) wrote:
> >
> > Well Pho Pholks
> > Lara Lavi here from Very Juicy Records
> >
> > I relay this without passing judgement just sharing with you what I just saw
> > this evening.
> >
> > I turn on the TV with my little 2.5 year old to watch some Disney show
> > about an African American teen girl (The Proud Family - animated show)
> > and here is the story line ( I think I missed the first couple scenes
> > but here is the general jist.
> >
> > 1.    Girl working at her antiquated computer her dad gave her in her
> > room.
> >
> > 2.    Mystery guy (cool hip hop looking dude in black) shows up at her
> > window and supplies her with an up to date computer, takes her into
> > "the Matrix and shows her a web area called Free Jackster where she
> > can get all the music she could ever want FOR FREE,
> >
> > 3.    The girl asks if this is illegal and mystery guy explains it is
> > our birthright to have free music, creativity should not have a price
> >
> > 4.   Girl gets addicted to collecting free music, her obsession leads
> > to telling all her friends.  soon the site is getting millions of hits
> > from kids to grandmothers.
> >
> > 5.  Next scene at the The Wizard Record Label board room where "Sir
> > Paid Alot" enters to complain his royalty check was only five cents.
> > This alerts The Wizard (head of the label) that  there is a retail
> > problem he needs to look into.
> >
> > 6.    Teen Girl's house is surrounded that night by police and press
> > and she is arrested for illegal downloads, gets a warning,.  The news
> > makes it clear that millions of people can;'t be stopped, Parents take
> > computer away from girl and explain why free downloads is STEALING. -
> > kind of an abirdged explanation of how copyrights work.
> >
> > 6.   Next scene, Asian Guy's retail record store is empty, guy is
> > crying on the floor.  Teen Girl who happens to work at the store show
> > up to work, aisian guy fires her for supporting all the free downloads
> >
> > 7.  Next scene charts showing record sales are down down down to
> > nothing because people get the music for free
> >
> > 8.  Mystery guy shows up at teen girls' window again to try and
> > convince her to go back to downloading but she says NO
> >
> > 7.     Guy:  "You still downloading?", Teen Girl:  DOwnloading is
> > stealin" Mr. Guy from Free Jackster: " I know you are afraid I am
> > trying to show you a world without rules"  Teen girl says no its wrong
> > GOODBYE
> >
> > THE END
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?             Home of the brave
>   http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/                   Land of the free
>    Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org
> Geek for Hire                     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/resume.html

Rusty Foster :: rusty@kuro5hin.org :: http://www.kuro5hin.org

That's one thing sorely missed in Vegas... there's no
such thing as an old building here; whenever one is
discovered, they blow it up on live television.
                                              --Driph