[linux-elitists] WiFi and DHCP

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Oct 5 18:33:40 PDT 2001

begin Joey Hess quotation of Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 04:24:27PM -0400:

> Cardmgr doesn't just insmod modules, it launches off the setup scripts too, and
> makes the console beep after they have finished, and -f postpones forking to
> the background until after the second beep. Looking at the source, it seems
> quite straightforward that -f will make it pause until after the scripts are
> done. If it's not working, I'll bet you've found a bug.

No, it was a configuration error I made -- I had put the -f straight
into the init script (inside an else not taken, if I had read more
carefully) instead of in /etc/pcmcia.conf which is its proper place.
When I put it there, the whole thing works fine even with the sleep
10 gone.  So I guess the moral of the story is pretty simple: if
you have PCMCIA cards in a server, use cardmgr -f.

It shoudn't hurt in a client system either; if you're concerned
about being able to log in quickly you can just use xdm and run it
early while the net stuff sorts itself out in the background.

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/