[linux-elitists] WiFi and DHCP

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Fri Oct 5 13:24:27 PDT 2001

Don Marti wrote:
> I added -f to CARDMGR_OPTS in the pcmcia init script; it doesn't work
> in my situation.  Looks like it just makes cardmgr background itself
> after doing the insmods for cards present at boot, and doesn't make
> it wait until the interfaces are actually up.

Cardmgr doesn't just insmod modules, it launches off the setup scripts too, and
makes the console beep after they have finished, and -f postpones forking to
the background until after the second beep. Looking at the source, it seems
quite straightforward that -f will make it pause until after the scripts are
done. If it's not working, I'll bet you've found a bug.

Hmm, one possiblity could be that -f might let it background after setting up
just one socket (I assume you have two cards inserted). I don't see anything in
there to prevent that behavior, though it would require something weird that
makes one socket issue an event well before the other. Try pulling all but the
wireless card at boot time and see if that works around it.

--
see shy jo