[linux-elitists] WiFi and DHCP

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Oct 5 10:54:50 PDT 2001

begin Joey Hess quotation of Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 01:29:37PM -0400:

> Well I run a name server on mine, and have ran into the same problem
> (it's a 486; great vehicle for turning up this type of race). I had
> reordered the init scripts, working around the problem. I just read some
> docs though, and it looks like using cardmgr -f might properly fix the
> problem.

I added -f to CARDMGR_OPTS in the pcmcia init script; it doesn't work
in my situation.  Looks like it just makes cardmgr background itself
after doing the insmods for cards present at boot, and doesn't make
it wait until the interfaces are actually up.

-f might work fine for Ethernet, but 802.11b takes longer to come up.

I can see why this isn't the default, since speed is often more
> important than correctness as far as laptop booting goes.

And because determining whether or not an interface is actually in
the state you want it to be before starting daemons could be complex.

Maybe what is needed is an optional init script that would run
after the network setup but before the daemons and just wait until
one or more interfaces were in a useful state.

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/