[linux-elitists] WiFi and DHCP

Joey Hess joey@kitenet.net
Fri Oct 5 10:29:37 PDT 2001

Don Marti wrote:
> The quick fix is to put a sleep 10 in the pcmcia startup script, but
> the structure of init scripts seems to assume that network interfaces
> will be up after the network-relate scripts run.  In the case of PCMCIA,
> this is not true.
>
> Should the pcmcia init script just not finish until any cards
> present at boot time are detected and initialized?
>
> Or should people who want to run DHCP servers on WiFi networks just
> put in the sleep 10 and shut up?

Well I run a name server on mine, and have ran into the same problem
(it's a 486; great vehicle for turning up this type of race). I had
reordered the init scripts, working around the problem. I just read some
docs though, and it looks like using cardmgr -f might properly fix the
problem. I can see why this isn't the default, since speed is often more
important than correctness as far as laptop booting goes.

--
see shy jo