[linux-elitists] Burn all PNGs day?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Nov 16 11:57:43 PST 2001

begin Jonathan Corbet quotation of Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:37:24AM -0700:

> FYI, our net scanner just popped out this one.  It's in the Register, so it
> must be true...  It would indeed be a bummer if we end up unable to use PNG
> files too.

PNG is already a W3C Recommendation, as of 1996.
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-png.html

And Apple, a W3C member,  is only _now_ coming to periscope depth?

Isn't this against even the (weak) W3C patent policy?

Anyway, this isn't a "burn all" situation -- burn all is only when
the patent is actually earning money for the holder, and there'a
a superior alternative.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/