[linux-elitists] "Corrupt CDs" list

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Nov 14 10:07:40 PST 2001

begin Ben Woodard quotation of Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 06:47:33PM -0800:

> From what I've read the actual technique is that
> they make the CD appear to be a multisession CD and then they don't fill
> in the second session index and so the windows driver can't compile a
> complete track index.

An unpatched cdparanoia will not rip the "data" tracks on the Charley
Pride CD, probably as a safety measure to keep you from blowing
your speakers or hurting your ears ripping _real_ data tracks.
(At least some DVD players wouldn't play it either.)  The recent
2600 article shows how to disable that test.

But the Charley Pride CD uses the MediaCloq system from the stock
pumpers at SunnComm.  I don't know what the other record labels
are using -- it might be same trick, different name.

Some MacOS users also report being able to listen to CDs that
Windows users can't.  At this stage, however, it's difficult to
distinguish reliable sources from people who just don't understand
how to use their computers.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/