[linux-elitists] Phil Zimmermann on key exchange

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Nov 13 17:18:21 PST 2001

No match for "EXCESSIVE-ANALNESS.ORG".

Zimmermann says that the current practice of keysignings, with
government-issued identification, recitation of fingerprints
and other rituals, is missing the point of helping users get the
practical benefits of encrypting their mail. "What did I start? I
feel like I've created a monster", he told a crowd of GPG users.

Zimmermann explained alternatives to the keysigning monster in an
interview. "A decade ago it made sense to go for maximum security
regarding how to trust whether a key is really the right key",
he said.  "But things can get paralyzed by excessive analness."

http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5605

(BTW, I am already complaining about the damn GIFs that the new LJ
site inherited from PHPNuke, so you don't have to.  Really.
http://linuxjournal.com/themes/NewLJ/images/corner-top-right.gif)

http://zgp.org/~dmarti
dmarti@zgp.org                                  Free the web, burn all GIFs.
KG6INA                                               http://burnallgifs.org/