[linux-elitists] [wild@eff.org: EFF: Defends MusicCity Peer-to-Peer Technology]

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Tue Nov 6 12:38:51 PST 2001

Aaron Lehmann writes:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:24:10AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > I still wish this case were captioned "MPAA and RIAA v. Consumer
> > Empowerment".
>
> MPAA and RIAA v. proprietary software

Hey, you know, AEBPR is proprietary software too.  Doesn't mean it
should be illegal.

Given a choice, plaintiffs typically like to sue people who are rich and
famous first.  ("Having a product" counts as rich and famous for these
folks -- even "having a company".)  Then they use the outcome of one
court case to intimidate everyone else, or to obtain a similar outcome
in other successive court cases.

This was and is a long discussion, but we need the Betamax doctrine to
survive, if you don't want to need permission from copyright interests
to write software.  The first time around, that doctrine won by a
single vote in the Supreme Court -- a 5-4 decision.  And the copyright
industries' story now includes the Internet.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull