[linux-elitists] It's all the US linux users' fault.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 2 12:28:33 PST 2001

on Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 06:37:38AM -0800, Mr. Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org) wrote:

>     KMS> He's the #2 kernel developer.  If he decides that US
>     KMS> Copyright law is incompatible with the GPL, he has very
>     KMS> powerful rights as an author to claim infringement.  If this
>     KMS> got a few of the current large backers of GNU/Linux to wake
>     KMS> up, the political pressures to reverse the DMCA might well
>     KMS> take place.
>
> Like who? HP? IBM? Rat Hed? I dunno... seems to me that if the legal
> waters got hot, people would be a lot happier to throw over Linux than
> get rid of the DMCA.

All of the above.  I'm thinking specifically of IBM, who're no strangers
to political mechinations, have most of the apparatus in place, and an
investment likely exceeding several billion dollars to protect.  RH is
more deeply vested, but has less means.  HP lies somewhere in between,
and isn't fully on board, though they're making moves in the right
directions.

There are others out there who are making moves to GNU/Linux.  A friend
of mine has had a sig line for a few years:  "in 2002, everyone will
discover that everyone else is using linux".  You can't yank out
infrastructure like that without hurting business.

Peace.