[linux-elitists] The Cathedral and the Bazaar...and the Pyramid

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri May 25 11:01:29 PDT 2001

...and it's shorter than ESR's stuff....

    The Cathedral, the Bazaar and the Pyramid
    The Cathedral, the Bazaar and the Pyramid
    Glenn Alexander, glenalec@ozemail.com.au
    May 24, 2001

    Having had a long hard look at Microsoft, I feel that neither the
    Cathedral nor the Bazaar software development models are suitable to
    describe the process at Microsoft. I therefore propose a third
    category of software development: the Pyramid.

    Consider these similarities:

    - Pyramids were built by underpaid peasants.

    - A pyramid is just a huge pointy thing that sits there taking up
      space. As burial places go, the Egyptian Pyramids represent the
      first incidence of heavy bloatware.

    - The instructions for use are in hieroglyphics.

    - The Pyramid is a monument to self aggrandisement.

    - The Pharaohs who were in charge believed they were incarnations of
      gods.

    The similarities to Microsoft are too close to ignore.