[linux-elitists] Local Mountain View. 802.11b coffeehouse.

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu May 24 15:57:20 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation:

> Boronne is weird in several ways.  They've got a choice spot and a
> booming business.  Cafes are notoriously difficult -- you've got people
> who are essentially buying a lease on nine square feet for the price of
> a coffee, and cycle time equals profits.

Cycle time is, indeed, why Dr. Evil's (Starbuck's), for example, rakes
in the dough so efficiently.

And, in case you're wondering why service usually sucks in cafes, that
part became obvious to me during my years as upstairs neighbour to The
CoffeeNet in San Francisco:  If you're a server and any good at your
job, you'll be quitting your cafe job as quickly as possible and moving
to somewhere with table service (and thus significant tip revenue).

> Ditto, but I've been looking at 802.11b cards, and now that I've got
> PCMCIA working... ;-)

...you'll want to read the comparative comments at BAWUG.

--
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base - print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen