[linux-elitists] Local Mountain View. 802.11b coffeehouse.

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu May 24 12:14:07 PDT 2001

on Thu, May 24, 2001 at 08:39:19AM -0700, Heather (star@betelgeuse.starshine.org) wrote:
> > on Wed, May 23, 2001 at 12:11:47PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> > > 802.11b access is available at Dana Street Roasting Company, 744 Dana
> > > Street, Mountain View. (1/2 block logical south of Printer's Inc.) The
> > > base station is a FreeBSD box. And most of the laptops I see here seem
> > > to be running some kind of X.
> >
> > Contrast this to, e.g.:  Cafe Boronne, Menlo Park, which has taken the
> > step of taping over the few duplex power outlets available in the dining
> > area.
>
> I'm torn between "that is sooo rude!" and thinking, it's even faster than
> posting an FAQ:
>
> 1. no you can't use the outlets.
> 2. people had been using them without even asking.

Boronne is weird in several ways.  They've got a choice spot and a
booming business.  Cafes are notoriously difficult -- you've got people
who are essentially buying a lease on nine square feet for the price of
a coffee, and cycle time equals profits.

But the place does several things that just...annoy.  Its prices are
high (lasagne, salad, beer, and pie, can set me back $20+).   Winters,
they've got a really bad habit of leaving doors open -- it gets fierce
chill inside.  The Friday night band is a brass combo.  I like the good
act, but a trombone bell six feet off your shoulder is a bit much, and
in the concrete-floor and bare-walls space, it's too loud by half
_outside_.   Reed-and-string with brush snare would work a hell of a lot
better.  God forbid you should bring outside food to the outside seating
area to eat with your coffee -- used to be a good burrito joint around
the corner, and a $4 wrap beats an $8 Boronne plate hands down.  Twice
the food at half the price.

It's close, but I rarely go there for most of the reasons above.
There are friendlier places,

> So, I have to say, cool.  But I much prefer the 'tude over here at the
> Orchard Valley Coffee Shop - lots of outlets.  grounded sixpacks at
> scattered locations.  You don't have to sit far from an outlet unless you
> want to.

Nice.

> But they don't have wireless AFAIK.  I wouldn't know, I only use (gasp)
> normal ether for the moment.

Ditto, but I've been looking at 802.11b cards, and now that I've got
PCMCIA working... ;-)

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/