[linux-elitists] Closed Source Tests damage careers, schoolchildren

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Tue May 22 10:35:58 PDT 2001

    BW> Quite honestly, I think for cases like this have an open bug
    BW> tracking system in this case would probably have done more to
    BW> contain the problem than having open source code. [...]

I think you nailed it!  Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.  The openness
that would have avoided the problem in this case is openness about
problem reports.  An open bug database idea seems orthogonal to
openness of the source.  This might a powerful idea actually.  In both
the open and closed source worlds, one hopes that the industry press
would report widespread problems, but with the recent ability to
publish things for wide distribution on the web the authoritative
source for actual user bug-reports could be 'open.'

An instance of this is the Debian bug database which I occasionally
check when I am about to start using a package I am not familiar
with.  I think it would still be useful if the sources for those
packages were closed.

Lovely idea, thanks.

cheers,

BM