[linux-elitists] Closed Source Tests damage careers, schoolchildren

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Tue May 22 09:36:52 PDT 2001

Quite honestly, I think for cases like this have an open bug tracking
system in this case would probably have done more to contain the
problem than having open source code.

Knowing just a little about testing, the problem with doing an open
source implementation is that most of the problem is subjective
heuristic design rather than implementation. Inspection of the code
would likely not yeild anything. This kind of problem could only be
uncovered through testing the program through statistical models.

The real problem was that the company was trying to cover up the
problem by telling everyone "everything is OK" when it had multiple
reports of similar problems.

-ben