[linux-elitists] Closed Source Tests damage careers, schoolchildren

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon May 21 14:56:12 PDT 2001

begin Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Mon, May 21, 2001 at 05:44:01PM -0400:

> I do not like the way this is presented.  Inept school administration
> and a clearly dishonest vendor might be a dangerous combination, but
> the same could have happened with the same inept administrators and
> a dishonest consulting house deploying open-source solutions.

The problem is the whole "formal education" thing.  Get the hackers out
of school, and vice versa.
http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20000829103513.A23528@zgp.org.html

And please read "The Six-Lesson Schoolteacher"
http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html

  "School" is an essential support system for a vision of social
  engineering that condemns most people to be subordinate stones in a
  pyramid that narrows to a control point as it ascends. "School" is an
  artifice which makes such a pyramidal social order seem inevitable
  (although such a premise is a fundamental betrayal of the American
  Revolution). In colonial days and through the period of the early
  Republic we had no schools to speak of. And yet the promise of democracy
  was beginning to be realized. We turned our backs on this promise by
  bringing to life the ancient dream of Egypt: compulsory training in
  subordination for everybody. Compulsory schooling was the secret Plato
  reluctantly transmitted in the Republic when he laid down the plans for
  total state control of human life.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti    -- Bruce Schneier, Secrets and Lies, p. 246.
dmarti@zgp.org    Free the Web, burn all GIFs: http://burnallgifs.org/