[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed May 16 18:24:21 PDT 2001

on Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:34:05PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:42:37PM -0700:
>
> // put this in $HOME/.mozilla/default/user.js
> // and read http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
> // set minimum font sizes
> user_pref("font.min-size.variable.", 10);
> user_pref("font.min-size.variable.x-western", 10);
> user_pref("font.min-size.fixed.x-western", 10);

I find 12 points is better.  14 renders proportional fonts on all sites
better, but courier/monospace becomes too large, and if I want to
quickly duck down to a smaller size, I can't.  At which point I realize
that there are separate specifications for "fixed" and "variable".  I
also note that zooming the page in or out appears to peg on the minimum
font specified.  I'm not sure if this is what I expect or not -- I'd
like to scale a page so that it *all* gets smaller, but so that at the
default size, everything's readable.

Note though that this provides a roundabout way of rendering everything
at your specified font sizes:  specify the point sizes you prefer, and
scale your pages to the minimum amount (1%).  All text will be rendered
at your specified point sizes.

Where in the Mozilla sources are these prefs stashed?  Docs on prefs
simply suck, and Google has problems finding anything helpful.