[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed May 16 15:54:42 PDT 2001

on Wed, May 16, 2001 at 03:35:50PM -0700, Mr. Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org) wrote:

> A couple of things that I'd like to do with this would be...
>
>         1) When I get the message "Your client does not accept
>            cookies," or whatever, I'd like to be able to tell the
>            proxy, "Let this %^$#@^& site send me login cookies." So I
>            don't have to go fix that in Junkbuster all the time.

I'd like to be able to specify sites that get one-time cookies.  And to
specify cypherpunks/cypherpunks as a default login for all sites.  With
some sort of shared repository of logins-that-work-for-site-foo to
access others.

>         2) When I'm reading a site I like, and I'm (nicely) avoiding
>            ads, I'd like to be able to tell the proxy, "Hey, do an
>            asynchronous hit on that ad thing that we're blocking
>            out, so this site can get paid. Don't show it to me, of
>            course (bleh), but go ahead and give them the hit."

Red herring.  Online advertisers will eventually realize that what
matters isn't readership or hits, but the actual impact of an
advertising campaign.  Technical tricks such as this are irrelevant.