[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Wed May 16 15:35:50 PDT 2001

    RM> [...] Mozilla & friends.

This would be the longest, most boring children's show ever made.

    RM> The other item on my feature wish-list, however, is more
    RM> ambitious: I'd like to be able to get access to an HTTP
    RM> proxy's configuration in real-time from within a rendered
    RM> page.  I want to be able to right-click on a rendered item,
    RM> and specify either (1) proxy to oblivion all objects from this
    RM> IP, (2) proxy to oblivion all objects from this FQDN, (3)
    RM> proxy to oblivion all objects from a subdomain I specify, (4)
    RM> give me the ability to specify some regex substitution right
    RM> now, and implement it immediately, and (5) list all rules
    RM> currently in effect and let me inspect/edit any of them.

A couple of things that I'd like to do with this would be...

        1) When I get the message "Your client does not accept
           cookies," or whatever, I'd like to be able to tell the
           proxy, "Let this %^$#@^& site send me login cookies." So I
           don't have to go fix that in Junkbuster all the time.

        2) When I'm reading a site I like, and I'm (nicely) avoiding
           ads, I'd like to be able to tell the proxy, "Hey, do an
           asynchronous hit on that ad thing that we're blocking
           out, so this site can get paid. Don't show it to me, of
           course (bleh), but go ahead and give them the hit."

Please send me the fix fast! I am on deadline for a very big company!

~Mr. Bad

 Mr. Bad <mr.bad@pigdog.org> | Pigdog Journal | http://pigdog.org/
 freenet:MSK@SSK@u1AntQcZ81Y4c2tJKd1M87cZvPoQAge/pigdog+journal//
 "Statements like this give the impression that this article was
  written by a madman in a drug induced rage"  -- Ben Franklin