[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 16 15:22:39 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:59:48PM -0700:

> I might also ask those reading this to take a quick peek at
> http://www.infoworld.com/, which is one of the more poorly designed
> sites to grace the web recently.  Reports from IE/Legacy MS Windows and
> Mac would also be of interest.  If you can host a screenshot on some
> webpace, say, 800x600, please do.

Here's one from Mozilla:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/images/infoworld.png

(minimum font size set to 12; I'm thinking of putting it back to 10)

The config file options I posted to set a minimum font size that
the browser will use, ever, seem to really work. That's a huge
Netscape->Mozilla improvement as far as I'm concerned.

This script goes through your Squid cache for GIFs in standard banner
sizes: http://zgp.org/~dmarti/webclean/grovelsquid

If you could get your browser to request a certain URL when you bookmark
something, you could just bookmark all URLs you wanted to block or
filter, then come back to them later...