[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed May 16 14:52:25 PDT 2001

begin  Aaron Sherman quotation:

> The font sizes on their home page range from the headlines
> (font face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans serif" size="+1"), which are
> fairly large to lead-ins for their lead articles (font
> face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans serif" size="-1") to the lead-ins for
> the rest of the articles (font face="verdana,geneva,arial,sans serif"
> size=-2).

That's certainly nowhere near the _most_ clue-deficient HTML I've seen
today.  But I'd like the ability to override it.  Suppose those typeface
names on my machine map to something inappropriate -- or that I simply
don't like them, or prefer Lucida (which I do)?  Webmasters often decide
they know better than I, and it's becoming apparent that educating them
isn't the easiest / most-efficient way to fix that problem.

Navigator/Communicator, for all its bletcherousness generally, at least
let you say "Use my default fonts, overriding document-specified fonts".
We need this functionality restored in Mozilla & friends.

The other item on my feature wish-list, however, is more ambitious:
I'd like to be able to get access to an HTTP proxy's configuration
in real-time from within a rendered page.  I want to be able to
right-click on a rendered item, and specify either (1) proxy to oblivion
all objects from this IP, (2) proxy to oblivion all objects from this
FQDN, (3) proxy to oblivion all objects from a subdomain I specify,
(4) give me the ability to specify some regex substitution right now,
and implement it immediately, and (5) list all rules currently in effect
and let me inspect/edit any of them.

It's unreasonable to have to build a general-purpose HTTP proxy into
every Web browser, so what we should be looking for is a standard
software interface browsers can talk to, and that proxies can take
direction from.  I.e., a SWPI = Standard Web Proxy Interface.  If you're
running the Apache proxy, you'd just also enable this in httpd.conf:

   LoadModule proxy_swpi_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libproxy_swpi.so

If you're running Junkbuster, you enable the SWPI extension.  And so on.

Smarter than waiting for webmasters to suddenly sprout common sense, in
my view.

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."