[linux-elitists] A modest proposal to web designers of the world (was Re: Site feedback: fonts too small)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 16 14:34:05 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:42:37PM -0700:

> As it's the web designers of the world who are cramming specialized
> fontsets down our throats, I'd suggest that it be the web designers of
> the world who research, and publicize generally, how these fonts can be
> configured for optimal performance on a wide range of platforms.

<silly-request action="hit self in face with bat while reading this">

What is your reponse as a human being to the above tag? You ignore it,
or modify it. I would choose to modify it to read "stick coffee in
face while reading this" -- but that's just me. Some people don't like
coffee. I tweak my browser preferences to reduce the effects of silly
tags in HTML; I configure my proxy to block useless images. Life is
good.

There will always be web designers who ask you and your browser to do
silly things. Free software lets you pay as much attention to these
requests as you want.

You control presentation.  The designer does not.

</silly-request>

// put this in $HOME/.mozilla/default/user.js
// and read http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
// set minimum font sizes
user_pref("font.min-size.variable.", 10);
user_pref("font.min-size.variable.x-western", 10);
user_pref("font.min-size.fixed.x-western", 10);