[linux-elitists] Not in my job description

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Wed May 16 09:29:22 PDT 2001

> Jack Moffitt and I are kind of puzzled as to what would play on all
> CD players but not be read by any CDROM drives.  Could rip-proof CDs
> simply be bullshit?

I saw something a while back, forget where.  As I recall, it had to do with
weirdness in the table of contents.  It didn't look like it would be all
that hard to hack around.  The article I saw remarked on how cdrdao got
confused by one of these CDs because it didn't understand the TOC tricks,
but cdrdao can learn.

There's also the minor difficulty that, apparently, car CD players tend to
be based on computer drive technology, and won't want to play these disks.

See also Schneier's Crypto-gram from yesterday for a good discussion on
copy protection - very little that will be new to this crowd, but well
written.

jon

Jonathan Corbet
Executive editor, LWN.net