[linux-elitists] Not in my job description

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 16 09:16:16 PDT 2001

begin  Rick Moen quotation of Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:53:34AM -0700:

> Yet another reason to have a personally-owned laptop machine, as Step
> One -- on the way to finding a better job elsewhere.

If they're that strict, they probably wouldn't let you bring it in.

Don't a lot of programs, both free and proprietary, come with a macro
capability/scripting language/development environment built in?
Denying programming tools to anyone outside a certain department would
deprive them of a lot of software.

Speaking of macro languages, here's a "Towers of Hanoi" for vim:
http://www.df.lth.se/~lft/vim/

Anyone heard or seen the supposedly "unrippable CD" from Charley Pride?
Are they putting it under the counter when anyone wearing a DeCSS shirt
comes into the record store? All I know about it is that the patented
rip-proofing (done by sunncomm.com) happens in the manufacturing process
-- you can't burn a rip-proof CD, only press one.

Jack Moffitt and I are kind of puzzled as to what would play on all
CD players but not be read by any CDROM drives.  Could rip-proof CDs
simply be bullshit?