[linux-elitists] Prof. Felten at Stanford Thursday

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon May 14 16:21:10 PDT 2001

----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com> -----

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 12:18:37 -0700
From: Barbara Simons <simons@acm.org>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: a talk by Ed Felten at Stanford

Declan,
Would you please post this to your list.
Thanks.
Barbara

==================================

PLEASE CIRCULATE

Reading Between the Lines: Lessons from the SDMI
Challenge and itsAftermath

Prof. Edward Felten, Dept of Computer Science
Princeton University

Date Thursday, May 17
Time: 2:15 - 4:00
Location: Math 380-380
Stanford Univ.

The music industry has proposed a range of "security
technologies" designed to prevent the unauthorized
copying of recorded music.  Recently a group of researchers,
including the speaker Prof. Edward Felten, was forced to
withdraw from publication a paper analyzing several of these
technologies, due to threats of litigation by the music industry.
This talk will discuss what happened:
   - the status of anti-copying technology,
   - how the music industry is trying to prevent copying
   - an overview of the technical analysis
   - how and why the authors were threatened,
   - and the effect of the Digital Millennium Copyright
     Act on computer security researchers.

DIRECTIONS:
You can locate the building by going to
http://www.stanford.edu/home/map/search_map.html
and clicking on Bldg 380 Mathematics in the list of
Academic and Administrative Buildings.  Parking info
can be found at http://www-facilities.stanford.edu/maps/download/.
Please allow extra time for parking.

----- End forwarded message -----