[linux-elitists] lawyers, vim, software patents

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat May 12 23:48:46 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:37:17PM -0700:

> I'd consider it poor practice to modify tabstop.  Different applications
> treat this independently, and most default to 8 bytes.  I'd set
> shiftwidth to 4 and leave tabs at 8 for a useful, but consistent,
> treatment.

I don't think you can count on anyone or anything to respect your tab
settings.

set expandtab

au BufNewFile,BufReadPost Makefile set noexpandtab