[linux-elitists] lawyers, vim, software patents

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat May 12 23:37:17 PDT 2001

on Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:58:30PM -0700, Wil Cooley (wcooley@nakedape.cc) wrote:
> Thus spake Don Marti:
>
> > I'd like to look at people's .vimrc files for an LJ piece; if you have
> > anything particularly cool in yours, please post it and I'll give you
> > appropriate credit if I use it.
>
> Here's mine, with some useful mappings from filling text and some useful
> DocBook maps.
>
> Wil
> --
> W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@nakedape.cc
> Naked Ape Consulting                        http://nakedape.cc
> LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/
> irc.openprojects.net                                     #lnxs
>
> "I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
> - H. L. Mencken

> set tabstop=4

I'd consider it poor practice to modify tabstop.  Different applications
treat this independently, and most default to 8 bytes.  I'd set
shiftwidth to 4 and leave tabs at 8 for a useful, but consistent,
treatment.