[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel too proud)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat May 12 23:33:22 PDT 2001

on Sat, May 12, 2001 at 09:28:27PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Curiously enough, I _was_ considering purging Apache of those "icon" GIF
> images -- shortly before my machine's spectacular hardware _and_
> software collapse (prominently featuring a corrupted /lib directory).
> I've just now completed my rebuild, like so:
>
> uncle-enzo:/etc# uname -a
> Linux uncle-enzo 2.4.3-xfs #7 Fri May 11 21:17:56 PDT 2001 i586 unknown
> uncle-enzo:/etc# cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> /dev/sda5       /               xfs     rw                      0        0
> /dev/sda10      /usr            xfs     rw                      0        0
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0        0
> /dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto    defaults,user,noauto    0        0
> /dev/sda1       /boot           ext2    rw,noauto               0        1
> /dev/sda7       /tmp            ext2    rw                      0        1
> /dev/sda8       /var            xfs     rw                      0        0
> /dev/sda9       /home           xfs     rw                      0        0
> /dev/sda11      /usr/local      xfs     rw                      0        0
> uncle-enzo:/etc#
>
> (I expect to tweak the mount options, but haven't gotten around to that,
> yet.)
>
> Services in the new configuration use:
>   OpenSSH 1.2.3 (still)
>   Apache 1.3.19
>   ApacheSSL 1.3.19
>   VS-ftpd 0.0.14
>   BIND 9.1.1
>   Exim 3.22
>   Mailman 2.0.3
>   Leafnode 2.0beta8
>
> So, I _do_ plan to grovel through the whole damned system, notably
> _both_ of the Apache setups, and make sure I substitute non-GIF image
> files for the GIF "icon" files.  (Don't forget to make the corresponding
> edits to /etc/apache[-ssl]/httpd.conf, if you do likewise.)
>
> I guess if I put the substitute icon files into a non-standard
> directory, I probably won't have to _re-do_ this work every time I
> upgrade?

Well, since Apache doesn't currently ship with PNGs, the worst that
happens is that you end up with the evil GIF cousins of the PNG files
you've created in your Apache icons directory.  When the bug is fixed,
you'll find your files overwritten...but that means the bug is fixed.

The alternative is probably to use some /usr/local directory for
stashing Apache icon images.