[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel too proud)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat May 12 21:28:27 PDT 2001

Curiously enough, I _was_ considering purging Apache of those "icon" GIF
images -- shortly before my machine's spectacular hardware _and_
software collapse (prominently featuring a corrupted /lib directory).
I've just now completed my rebuild, like so:

uncle-enzo:/etc# uname -a
Linux uncle-enzo 2.4.3-xfs #7 Fri May 11 21:17:56 PDT 2001 i586 unknown
uncle-enzo:/etc# cat /etc/fstab
#
/dev/sda5       /               xfs     rw                      0        0
/dev/sda10      /usr            xfs     rw                      0        0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0        0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto    defaults,user,noauto    0        0
/dev/sda1       /boot           ext2    rw,noauto               0        1
/dev/sda7       /tmp            ext2    rw                      0        1
/dev/sda8       /var            xfs     rw                      0        0
/dev/sda9       /home           xfs     rw                      0        0
/dev/sda11      /usr/local      xfs     rw                      0        0
uncle-enzo:/etc#

(I expect to tweak the mount options, but haven't gotten around to that,
yet.)

Services in the new configuration use:
  OpenSSH 1.2.3 (still)
  Apache 1.3.19
  ApacheSSL 1.3.19
  VS-ftpd 0.0.14
  BIND 9.1.1
  Exim 3.22
  Mailman 2.0.3
  Leafnode 2.0beta8

So, I _do_ plan to grovel through the whole damned system, notably
_both_ of the Apache setups, and make sure I substitute non-GIF image
files for the GIF "icon" files.  (Don't forget to make the corresponding
edits to /etc/apache[-ssl]/httpd.conf, if you do likewise.)

I guess if I put the substitute icon files into a non-standard
directory, I probably won't have to _re-do_ this work every time I
upgrade?

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm