[linux-elitists] [linux-elitist] fwd/re ... plus addresses

Mike Touloumtzis miket@bluemug.com
Fri May 11 22:46:09 PDT 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 03:51:21PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > begin  Mr. Bad quotation of Sun, May 06, 2001 at 11:13:19PM -0700:
> >
> > > The question before the jury: PLUS ADDRESSES: are they elite, or not?
>
> See a recent LinuxGazette article, I believe they're not univerally
> honored by the software.  Postfix and sendmail do honor them.

Elite mailers don't honor such a hack natively, but provide powerful
enough tools to implement it :-).  In /etc/exim.conf:

plus_suffix_director:
  driver = smartuser
  new_address = ${local_part}
  suffix = +*

IMO plus addressing can be elite f.e. if you're using it to coerce
your MTA into selecting an alternate GPG key for a recipient.

miket